Monday, July 23, 2012

Finally, a Stitching Update & Thanks!

Before I start with my update, I must say a HUGE thank you to everyone. My last post was the hardest post I have ever written. I was blown away by your kind words. It made my day, each day, to open my email & see more comments about my dear Spyro. He was truly a wonderful dog & I don't think we realized how good he really was!
Before I had to have him put down, my husband kept saying...no more dogs after he is gone...broke my heart, but I would have gone along with it. Well, it wasn't more than 3 or 4 days & he was saying "when we get our next dog" or "when we find the next dog". Well, that is all it took. I jumped on those statements.....get him while he is still talking like that...
I started the good ole google searches. The first one I found was a rescue shelter about an hour from here. They get the pets & then put them in 'foster' care. I found an adorable black male poodle on this site, so I started investigating. I discovered he was going to be shown at an event at Pet Smart on Sat....we made arrangements to go look.

In the meantime, I joined a group on facebook that is in our part of the state. Once I was accepted to the group, the first dog I saw was a small apricot color female poodle. I made arrangements to go see her as well. 
We saw her on Thurs. evening. I fell in love with her & I think my husband was pretty taken too. But, there were enough 'red flag issues' that we decided we were for sure going to see the male on Sat.
Well, we decided on the male. He was owner surrendered 2 weeks ago. The rescue was told he had not been abused, but we have to wonder. He is very, very timid, especially toward my husband. Now today, with just me home, I have seen another side of him. He is much more ornery than Spyro was. This morning, he hauled dirty laundry out of the bathroom. (I had towels on the floor, ready to bring out) He smelled the chicken I was cutting up at lunch for my salad & put his front two paws up on the counter...didn't think about that with a bigger dog!!! (he is about 6 lbs heavier than Spyro was) He jumped up on the bed while I was making it...just a few things I am 'learning' about my new furry friend. By the way, his name is Dudley. That was his name, we liked it, said it fit him, so we are keeping it.
Ok...onto stitching. I started the Oriole way back in May I think....maybe early June. But, with our grandsons here so much over the summer, I haven't had a whole lot of stitching time. I have finished the male & am ready to work on some of the leaves, before starting the female. 
I also have started a log cabin....I covered the part of the chart that I do not plan to stitch.....I just plan to do the cabin..I think it will be a fun stitch once I get stitching time!!!
I have been reading a LOT this summer. Our library has a summer reading program for children, one for teens, and one for adults. I signed up & have been reading a lot of books. The last day for turning in our lists is next Tues. I hope to reach the next level before then.
I hope everyone is having a great day.....personally, I LOVE Mondays!!
Dudley, taken a few minutes ago.

Male Oriole

tiny start on cabin

timid Dudley when we got home with him Sat.
Again, thank you all so much for your loving support in my last post. 

19 comments:

Vicki said...

Dudley is one handsome dude! Congratulations for finding a new member of the family.

rosek1870 said...

He is a beautiful dog! We always seem to find a new member of the family within a week or 2 after losing one. They are all different but it does fill part of the hole they leave in our lives and hearts.

Beautiful stitching!! I have a thing for birds lately! Enjoy and keep your stitching away from Dudley LOL!!
Hugs

Hazel said...

Such a cutie!

Cath said...

aaah , Dudley is gorgeous . I'm sure he'll soon settle in with you .
Love your stitching. XXX

cucki said...

Aww he is so cuteeee
Big hugs and kisses xxxx

CalamityJr said...

Bet it won't belong before your new buddy is being onery when your hubby's home, too! I have a feeling you're going to be his best friend, though. Good for you - enjoy!

Mary Ann said...

Dudley is a handsome fellow! And, your stitching progress is looking fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Dudley in the "corner" with his food dishes is adorable. He's a cute doggie. Nice stitching, too.

Denise said...

He's gorgeous! Glad you two found each other.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

So happy you could give Dudley a good home; he's adorable! Congratulations!

Tina said...

Dudley is so cute!

Anna van Schurman said...

Welcome, Dudley! As someone who works for a fostering organization, I'm so glad you went this route. Thank you. When we got Stella and she jumped on the counter, I read this technique. When he does it, smack the counter. Tell it, "Bad Counter! Bad Counter!" You feel like a complete ass doing it, but it has kept her off the counter. (She was a wild one when we got her. Obedience class is (y)our friend.)

Carol said...

Awww...I'm so glad Dudley has found a loving home, Shari...I'm sure his shyness will totally disappear and he will soon be "king" of the house!!

Love the Oriole that you're stitching and I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your local library (of course!!)... We also have a summer reading club for adults as well as kids and it's extremely popular...

Lois said...

Sounds like Dudley was just meant to be part of your family Shari! I'm glad you found him and it sounds like he'll be quite the character! Nice progress on your WIP's.

Unknown said...

A huge welcome to Dudley he looks and sounds as if he is going to be quite a character but one I am sure will give you lots of love. Max is our third dog and we only ended up with him by chance as when we lost our second dog I'd said no more because of the heartache. However, our eldest son got Max and then realised that with two young children it was more than they could handle so we adopted him and we are so glad we did as he has brought so much joy to our lives.

Well done on getting back into your stitching.

Nancy M said...

Dudley was my nickname in school since my maiden name is DeRight (you know Dudley DoRight cartoon?) We got a rescue after our last dog and it's been the best match. I'm sure yours will be too. Lovely bird!

Julie said...

Your new boy is very handsome Shari, I'msure he'll soon learn to be a good boy for his new mummy.

Unknown said...

Dudley is so cute and sounds like he was meant to be for your house!

Vickie said...

Congrats on Dudley!! I hope he has settled in by now! Stitching looks great.