Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Labor Day Weekend






I can describe our weekend in one word: BUSY!!!!!!!
On Sat. morning, we got up at normal time. I needed to get my time in on the treadmill early, so our son could do his workout in the morning, instead of afternoon. So.....6 am, I was downstairs. When I was done, it was his turn.
DH had somewhere to go at nine. Just before he left, our son left for his last year of college. It was so hard to see him go, but all along knowing this is where he needs to be.
While DH was gone, I THOUGHT I would catch up on blogs. I pulled mine up, because that is where I view others. My music came on & the song that was playing did me in. It was called "letters from war" by Mark Schultz. Not the song I needed to hear the morning my last one left home. Not only did it remind me of my son that is serving our country, it made me realize my nest was empty again & I got sad.
I was so thankful we had plans for the day, once my husband got home. So, as soon as he arrived home, we headed out to a state park. We have never been to this one before & it was a nice change of pace. We walked about 12 miles total that day. We got back here early evening.
Sunday, we started out like always...we headed to church. We came home & grilled lunch. We then set out to get the yard ready for the nasty season after fall. We mowed, pulled dead plants out of the garden, etc....
After we finished that, we headed to town to get rid of all of the recycle stuff & then to Menard's to look for more wood for frames~!!!
Monday, bright & early, we headed to Shipshewana. For those unfamiliar with what that is....it is a large Amish community near us. I like to go up there at least once a year. I knew I wanted to look for apples & red raspberries this time. We headed straight to the flea market area first. In the front, they have lots of produce. I got 2 bushels of apples right away. No one had raspberries, but I was thankful for the apples.
We then walked the flea market & looked around. After that, we went to the downtown area & walked thru all of those shops & had our lunch there.
Next stop......the bulk food store!! My other reason for going!!!!! I stock up on things there. For example, I got a 50# bag of oats, a 25# bag of popcorn, a large bag of brown sugar, some popcorn meal (used instead of corn meal for muffins), & other ingredients for my homemade granola.
As we were leaving there, our son called. He had a long list of things he needed us to bring him at school. (things that didn't fit in his car or he forgot) So.....we got home, unloaded my car, & reloaded it with his stuff. We headed to the school. We finally got back home about 8:30 that night.
Yesterday, it was applesauce making time!!!! I had 3 bushels to do. (I had one that I had bought a few days ago, plus the 2 new ones) I got 36 qts. & 8 pts. out of them. I still have about 3/4 bushel of apples, but I ran out of jars......guess what is on my grocery list!?!?!
Once I finish ALL of the apples, I will take a picture of dining room table!! Oh my!!!
On the stitching front.....STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!! I will have a new update for my blog later in the week!!!! Not sure what day yet, but just keep your eyes ready. You will probably HEAR me update!
Thanks for stopping by & for leaving your kind comments. Each & everyone makes me smile!
I am posting some of the pictures that I took this weekend!!!

14 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like a very nice weekend indeed. You are busy busy.

Meari said...

Busy indeed!

Hazel said...

Goodness, sounds like a very busy weekend! x

Kathy said...

Oh my Heavens Shari, I am exhausted just reading about your weekend activities. :)

I hope you got a little stitching in. :)

Mylene said...

It sure was a busy weekend but i know you had lots of fun. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Goodluck with the last motif of BP....?

Unknown said...

That sounds like a very busy weekend, and full of fun and work and loving. You really are making me want to make some applesauce this year. There is a pick your own farm about an hour from here. Maybe not this weekend, but the next I could get some and do just a little canning. I know I don't have the energy to do nearly what you do, but...

Can't wait to see your stitching update!!

I will keep your son in my prayers. We have quite a few military folks in our family. Right now, everyone is stateside though.

Unknown said...

Hi Shari,
Reading your blog jusy reminds me been home. My sister just left of to college this past August and now I'm the only one home with my parents sometimes I just wish my brothers and sister were here again. But Like you said they are doing something better.

Sweet Sue said...

Whew, am exhausted just reading along:)

Sharon said...

Wow, what a busy week-end! Don't folks know that there MUST be a bit of stitching time woven into those two days "off"?? :)
Bless your sons - may they be kept safe and remember, mama will always be their "best" girl!! :)

Carol said...

What a great weekend, Shari! I love visiting Amish communities--really wonderful photos you took :)

Homemade granola sounds great!! Do you want to share the recipe? My husband is a granola nut!!

Denise said...

You were really busy over the weekend. Thanks for sharing your trip to Shipshewana. I would love to visit there. I must admit I had never heard of 'popcorn meal'!
Every part of the country has their
own unique foods.

Carolyn NC said...

Sounds like a super busy time. Lovely pictures! My youngest just married and left for the last time, this time permanently. Even though you get used to them being gone while they're in college, it still tugs at your heart when it's final (even though you're happy for them.) Hugs.

Nancy M said...

We are about 45 minutes away from Shipsy. We just took a motorcycle ride a few weeks ago and ended up at the Blue Gate for lunch. The shops in town are so jammed packed full of goodies!! I haven't been to the bulk food store yet though.

Julie said...

Goodness Shari, you certainly were busy.

hope your son has a great year at college